South Africa’s hair growth remedy I had no idea about!

Let’s face it, if you’re in South Africa healthy/natural hair brand products are expensive. We suffer from severe product envy on this side of the world. We imagine what those butters smell like, dream about how long our hair would grow when taking that particular branded capsule. We literally have to save up to buy a few great products online.
Fortunately, the natural or healthy hair community in South Africa is growing and we now have locally made products such as AfroBotanics, which I am yet to try (really excited about this one)

A few months ago, I discovered a gem of a secret in hair care on a facebook group called
Lady Hacks. On doing some digging, I discovered that the recipe was concocted right here in sunny South Africa. The 3 magical ingredients are:

Bergamot essence/oil
Bay Rum
Placenta
Allow me to break it down for you:
Bergamot: An essential oil with many fantastic benefits (including self-love. Who knew!)  When applied to hair, bergamot oil apparently soaks into the scalp and strands. It stimulates the blood flow to the hair’s follicles to give hair strength and shine. (The recipe calls for the synthetic version.)
Bay Rum: This essential oil originates from a West Indies tree called Pimenta Racemosa. Bay Rum was in fact used as an after-shave in the 20thcentury. This oil stimulates hair growth and helps alleviate dandruff.
Placenta: Now I am aware that this particular item could be quite controversial- however, we have all used egg in one way or another. Placenta helps with frizz and hair breakage. It is filled with protein and it helps alleviate itchy scalp.

The Recipe
The mixture can be used as a spritz:
1/2 bottle bay rum
1/2 bottle bergamot essence
1 ampule of placenta
spritz on your hair, concentrating on the roots, 2 to 3 times a week
and as a treatment:
throw the above mixture and 1 extra ampule of placenta into your favourite shampoo and/or conditioner. Use as often as you wash your hair.
** Should you choose to use the essential oil instead of the essence, always dilute with a few drops of a carrier oil (eg: coconut). **
Does It Actually Work?

” I started using the mixture about 3 months ago and let’s just say, the proof is in the pudding. As you can see in the first picture my hair is the dreaded “medium length”, just above my boobs. It is now in the middle of my back, as you can see in the second picture. I don’t exactly know how many cm’s it has grown but, there is a noticeable difference in the length of my hair from July until now.Besides this mixture’s amazing hair growth properties, it also improved the overall condition of my hair” – Leshea Segers

my dry scalp has cleared for the 1st time in 7 years, and its exactly 30 days since I started using it. Hair growth:2.8cm to be exact. My hair has stopped falling out and feels healthy with a great shine. My hairs life long bff has been found!”
– Lisa Anne Kitching

Would I use it?

Hell yes I would! In fact, I started my first spritz last night. My length check is:

Front: 22cm

Side: 20cm

Top: 20cm

Back: 19cm

Besides the fact that my hair smells like after-shave (my hair has apparently become my new boyfriend #singlegirlissues) I am in love with the softness… and that’s after only one treatment. I have heard stories of ladies who have the same hair texture as mine who claim their hair grew 1cm in 1 week. Bear in mind, hair grows on an average of 1 to 2cm per month and growth while using this miracle concoction is completely dependent on your hair.

I would like to point out that I am not an expert in essential oils, I’m an expert in my own hair though. My findings would therefore be my honest opinion on whether it works for me.

Have you tried this miracle mixture?
Would you give it a try?
Do you have a hair growth mixture you’re willing to share?
Comment below, I’d love to hear your opinion.
Thanks for reading and as always,
Stay Gold,
Mandy

84 Comments

1. Anonymous
    October 16, 2014 / 9:55 am

Hi Mandy, this is interesting!!! I'd love to try it out, where would I find these products? Particularly Placenta?

2. October 16, 2014 / 9:58 am

Hello, I bought my placenta at a pharmacy. You can also try places such as Clicks and Dischem. Good Luck and thanks so much for reading 🙂

3. Anonymous
    October 17, 2014 / 7:27 pm

Hello Mandy, bought all three at dischem.. 20ml bergamot, 200ml bay rum and 10ml placenta, I also have coconut oil, please advice on how to make my spritz am clueless..

4. October 17, 2014 / 7:39 pm

Hi there, for my spritz I mixed half the bergamot, half the bayrum and 2 ampules of placenta in a spray bottle with 300ml aloe juice (you can water) and about 5no castor oil (you can use coconut) shake it up, part your hair and start spraying. Good luck!

5. November 23, 2014 / 9:12 pm

You can also use the whole bottle bayrum, all of the placenta ampules and the whole bottle bergamot essence, that is the way I use it (for my very thin blonde hair) and it works like a charm. I started using it mainly because my hair began falling out in clumps on a daily basis rather than to help wit hair growth (that was just an added bonus) Good luck!

6. February 9, 2015 / 1:25 pm

Hey i use it as a leave in om dry hair daily is that correct? Or should i use it on wet hairafter i was n then blow dry? Cos i noticed it wets my hair n my hair goes all curly n hardish like when i wash hair without blowing… i do not hav3 straight hair its between straight and coarse..please advise thanks

7. Anonymous
    February 13, 2015 / 11:50 am

Hi Mandy, im aan african lady i would like to find if this remedy works on our type of hair, because my hair is very thin and the hair line is a problem,

please help, i have tried everything but no result im even thinking of cutting my hair now .

8. April 16, 2015 / 8:33 am

Hi Frankie, how many ampules would you use?

9. June 23, 2015 / 4:34 pm

Regular consumption of high levels of saturated fat and cholesterol rich foods are also linked to increased DHT levels which further causes hair loss. My brother was also facing hair loss and often tells importance of using toppik hair building fibers products.

10. June 23, 2015 / 4:35 pm

Hi Frankie, how many ampules would you use?

11. June 29, 2015 / 1:05 pm

I have used this mixture and LOVE the amazing results!

12. June 30, 2015 / 7:29 am

hi mandy plz advise im tyn 2 grow my hair. its natural iv usd castor oil, coconut n this range cald afro botanics m in south africa

13. Khadiejah Ebrahim
    September 1, 2015 / 8:38 am

Hi i will try the mixture. i usually mix bergamot essence with mpl and it does wonders makes the hair thick and strong and it grows. Apply mixture to the scalp and ends

14. September 10, 2015 / 10:38 am

Hi Mandy! How often should i apply the mix? Daily? Twice a week? Please help?! Also, could i put it on at night before bed and wash it out in the morning?

15. September 10, 2015 / 10:41 am

Hi there, it depends on your hair type really. Are you referring to the recipe I created or this particular one? Email me at mandycooke@gmail.com

16. September 22, 2015 / 1:36 pm

My cousin told me about this mixture, because I'm hooked on argan oil. She reckons this remedy works better. Am willing to try it out.

17. Anonymous
    October 8, 2015 / 9:13 am

HI Mandy This Magical remedy hair treatment is for all tipes of hair… please dont cut your hair off, show your femine side of lushes long beautiful hair. I promise you it will work.

18. Anonymous
    October 9, 2015 / 12:57 am

Hi, I cant seem to find Bay Rum Essence as everywhere I have been they out of stock. I have the placenta and Bergamot and I have thrown the Placenta into my shampoo as instructed.I have however jot made the mixtiee for the spritzer yet because of the Bay Rum being absent.Please advise If I can start using the Placenta and Bergamot in the mean time?

19. Anonymous
    October 9, 2015 / 12:57 am

I will definitely try this because i usually use bergamot essence mix with mpl and it does wonders for my hair…. try it

20. Anonymous
    October 9, 2015 / 12:57 am

Hi there, just to be clear. I can add this to my conditioner as well? Or use as treatment before shampooing my hair? Thank I'm advance

21. October 9, 2015 / 12:57 am

Hi my hair is static since I started using the mixture as a treatment in my shampoo. Is this normal or did I do something wrong?

22. Anonymous
    October 25, 2015 / 9:36 am

Is it safe to use on children over 10 yrs?

23. November 10, 2015 / 7:20 am

Most perfect product this for eye scanner and very nice post, i definitely love this web site, carry on it… I started using the mixture about 3 months ago and let's just say, the proof is in the pudding. As you can see in the first picture my hair is the dreaded "medium length", just above my boobs.The best treatment for thinning hair requires knowing what you’re putting in and on your scalp. More often than not, traditional, store-bought hair care products strip the natural and healthy oils from your hair as well as the damaging ones.Hair Loss Help

24. November 10, 2015 / 8:10 am

Hi Mandy
    Thanks for this. Will definitely try this out.

25. November 12, 2015 / 9:48 am

I fully support you blog.There may be noticeably a bundle to find out about this. I assume you made certain good points in options also. I grew up with so-called 'hard' hair so I personally feel a lot of pain when I hear that word used to describe hair. There are three main reasons why your hair would feel hard:Shampoos come as a rescue measure and are used to add life to get add some force and life to your hair. The market place is full of brands that claim to be the best shampoo for thin hair. Such products are mild and can be used regularly too. Black Hair Growth Products

26. January 26, 2016 / 6:57 am

hey Mandy,
    hope your well, i read your recipie and im really very convinced to actually try it out, where would you recommend me to buy these products? and can we use olive oil instead of coconut oil?

my email is: goelarti@yahoo.com
    regards,
    Arti 🙂

27. January 26, 2016 / 6:57 am

hey Mandy,
    hope your well? loved the recepie and i shall try it very soon, i stay in Botswana, where would you recommed me to buy these products?

28. Anonymous
    January 26, 2016 / 6:57 am

hi
    I would like to know if this works on indian hair

29. Anonymous
    January 26, 2016 / 6:58 am

Hi Amanda, I got my bayrum and other one at dishem. It was not a oil should I ask for the oil one.?

30. Anonymous
    January 26, 2016 / 6:58 am

Hi Amanda, I got mine at dischem but bayrum and the other one was not oil should I ask for the oil one? I moved to pretoria a year ago and every time I went to a hairdresser my hair has been messed up more and more

31. Lerato
    January 26, 2016 / 6:58 am

I have tried the mixture and I can see the growth already, after two weeks of using the mixture three times a week. The only thing I am experiencing now is that my hair gets dry quickly, nothing water, oil and cream can't fix. I just have to make sure that I moisturize twice as much…I cant wait to do my length check in two weeks…whoop whoop!

32. Anonymous
    January 26, 2016 / 6:59 am

Hey girls
    You also ask your doctor for a script for premarin tablets . You need only six tablets crushed in shampoo , it will make your thicker and longer ! Good luck

33. February 4, 2016 / 10:09 am

if you cannot find pacenta oil in your small town; with what can you replace it with

34. February 4, 2016 / 10:10 am

if I cannot find placenta oil with what can I replace it with as I stay in a very small town

35. March 8, 2016 / 2:04 pm

Been using this for years. My hair falls out due to thyroid disease. Really slows down that process. My hair also in a an excellent condition. I mix my own. I see that a premix product is now availavle in pharmacies (about R90 for 250ml). Cannot remember who makes it. As your pharmacy. Sometimes diffucult to get the placenta ampules. Bayrum dries out your hair, so make sure you use a good conditioner.

36. March 8, 2016 / 2:04 pm

It os difficult to find it even at big pharmacies. I always into the small no-name pharmacies to check if they have. And if they do I buy the whole lot. About R9 an ampule. Ask your local pharmacy to order for you.

37. May 20, 2016 / 12:30 pm

I can't seem to find Bay rum where I am.Is there an alternative? Or can I leave it out completely?

38. May 20, 2016 / 12:33 pm

Hello, I'm afraid bay rum is very necessary for this mixture to work effectively. Have you asked your pharmacy? Which area are you in?

39. May 23, 2016 / 12:43 pm

Hi. You can find Bay rum at Dischem. It's about R18 for a 200ml bottle.

40. June 8, 2016 / 8:53 am

Ive started to loose clumps of hair die to stress and a sudden loss of weight. My hair in general is very thin. I started to get desperate and come across this recipe. I use it for 2 months now. I cant believe the shine and thikening of my hair already. I Use it everyday and twice a week a treat my hair with coconut oil and fresh lemon juice. I leave it on for 2 hrs. It worth the while. Whish ive come across this recipe years ago.

41. Anonymous
    July 21, 2016 / 11:22 am

Hi Mandy, i just started spritzing with this mixture. My hair smells of Bergamot essence and i cant seem to shake the smell, i used half the bottle of bergamot essence. Do you think its wise to decrease the bergamot quantity? I also added castor oil and olive oil to the mixture.

I'm in PS for now so i'm just spritzing my scalp and haven't done length check. I spritz at night and then put castor oil in the morning and evening the following day. I"m using this 2-3 times a week.
    Here's to hoping for progress.

Thanks for the blog

Thabile:)

42. July 21, 2016 / 11:27 am

Hi Thabile, You can try using less as long as you use it. Have you tried using my mixture with aloe juice and castor oil? It really works as well. The smell is not pleasant for some people, but you get used to it.

43. Anonymous
    August 22, 2016 / 12:13 pm

hi there my hair is extremely damaged its long and short in between im so fed up im thinking of just cutting it all off i have tried the mixture in front i can see the growth it has been a month and a half now of me using this mixture can i get some advice please maybe i am just impatient please help

44. Anonymous
    August 22, 2016 / 12:13 pm

What do you use to moisturise your hair Lerato?

45. August 22, 2016 / 12:13 pm

Just an update to my last message. My hair has grown something mad and ive got new hair growing everywhere on my head. Clumps of new hair all over and the new hair are already 6 cm long. And best of all, I have a new hairline on my forehead that starts growing as well. I am so pleased. Im speechless.

46. August 22, 2016 / 12:13 pm

Hello Elise. You mention treating your hair bi-weekly with coconut oil and fresh lemon juice. Can you please give tell me how much oil and juice you mix together? Thank you. Ilse

47. Anonymous
    August 22, 2016 / 12:13 pm

I used the mixture and have seen tremendous hair growth, my hair looks so shiny, thick, soft and healthy. People are stopping me to ask me what I have been using on my hair. I used the following ingredients:
    – Half bottle bay rum
    – Half bottle bergamot essence
    – 1 Ampoule Placenta
    – 10 drops of lavender oil

• Yogie
      October 16, 2017 / 9:04 am

Hi . What size bottles of each bay rum and bergamot do u buy..and us the placenta 10ml?

48. August 22, 2016 / 12:14 pm

Ive started to loose clumps of hair due to stress and a sudden loss of weight. My hair in general is very thin. I started to get desperate and come across this recipe. I use it for 2 months now. I cant believe the shine and thikening of my hair already. I Use it everyday and twice a week a treat my hair with coconut oil and fresh lemon juice. I leave it on for 2 hrs. It worth the while. Whish ive come across this recipe years ago.

49. August 22, 2016 / 12:14 pm

This stuff is wonderful! I have started with in 1 week ago and my hair is softer than ever! Trying to let it grow out, so gonna keep using it for at least a couple if months to see what happens! 🙂

50. Anonymous
    August 22, 2016 / 12:14 pm

baie dankie vir die resep. ek is 66 grys hare en raak dun omdat dit so uitval !, kan nie wag om die resep te probeer nie. baie baie dankie julle almal . fransie

51. August 22, 2016 / 12:14 pm

Hi Mandy can I use the recipe on my 3 year old daughter's hair?

52. August 22, 2016 / 12:15 pm

Hi,

I currently have a Brazilian & highlights (very blonde) on my hair & you use a special shampoo for the Brazilian, was wondering if i can still put this mixture into my shampoo. Thanks

53. August 22, 2016 / 12:15 pm

Hi, Has anyone had a Brazilian and used this mixture at the same time, with a brazilian yoy use a special shampoo so was wondering if i can still put this mixture into my shampoo.

Thanks

54. August 22, 2016 / 12:15 pm

Hi Mandy. I managed to get the Bay rum at Dischem today (Canal Walk, Western Cape, South Africa for those that stay in Cape Town). Could you please tell me the exact amount (in ml preferably) to mix though cause the volumes vary, so I don't know if your half a bottle would be equivalent to my half a bottle. I have 200ml bay rum, 20ml bergamot essence and 3 x 10ml placenta

55. August 22, 2016 / 12:15 pm

Hi Mandy
    I loved reading your article, im a sucker for oils as long as i dont swallow im game.
    soooo… I am going to give it a try and will give feed back in 60 days!!
    widh me luck**

56. August 22, 2016 / 12:15 pm

Hey girl. Hope you're well. I want to try this! Can you please post results?

57. August 22, 2016 / 12:15 pm

Hey Mandy . I am interested in blogging. I tried tons of sites to set me up and none worked ! Could you please help me to start of like you did ? You inspired me and well now I want to blog on my own.Could you just maybe send me a email to show me what I should do ?

58. August 22, 2016 / 12:16 pm

Hi I have an underactive thyroid and my hair is falling out will this help I've tried all sorts and I'm in the UK and you can buy all the stuff you have mentioned on ebay please get back to me I'm at my wits end thinking of cutting my hair short

59. August 22, 2016 / 12:16 pm

hey guys.. can I spray my hair with this mixture every night and day??

60. August 22, 2016 / 12:16 pm

Hi guys can someone plz give me an advice years bck have got this nice long looking hair,but just last year I had to cut it very low coz I was unable to rock my natural hair.so a frd advice I use horse shampoo..the truth been told my hair v been improveing but yet it still gives me a male shape hair..am angry coz now my hair grows but the baldness keeps frustrating me,plz if u know what I can use to make the hairline grown properly kindly advise me on what to do..thanks

61. August 22, 2016 / 12:17 pm

62. September 16, 2016 / 11:56 am

Hey gals. I hope this question doesn't come to late… I bougjt the Bergamot essence 20ml, the bay rum 200ml and the restoring placenta treatment sprits from Kair 200ml. How would I mix them and how and when should I apply. Please help?Chantal

63. September 16, 2016 / 11:56 am

64. Madeleine
    September 16, 2016 / 11:56 am

Hi Elise. Congrats on your new hair growth! I'm so happy for you. Can you explain how you use the mixture? Do you spray on your roots and on hor hair and leave it on? Do you massage it on your scalp?

65. Anonymous
    September 16, 2016 / 11:56 am

How do you use the mixture? How often? Do you spray on the roots and leave it on the hair and scalp? Do you use twice a week? And how big (in ml) are your bottle of bay run and bergamot essence? Please let me know. I'd love to try.

66. September 22, 2016 / 7:14 pm

Will this mixture work without the placenta. I'm worried that placenta will disrupt hormones with long term use?
    Sarah

67. October 11, 2016 / 6:30 am

Hello Maggie. I also have severe hair loss due to thyroid problems and stress. I haven't used this recipe yet, but I am going to. However, what I started to do, was to use a mixture of organic coconut oil and organic apple cider vinegar. I add about 1/3 vinegar to 2/3 oil. Heat it in warm water until the oil is melted, shake it, apply it to dry hair. Massage it for about 5 minutes into your scalp, then cover it with plastic. I keep it on for the whole day, then wash it normally. I then rinse it with a mixture of water and apple cider vinegar. Again, ratio is 1/3 vinegar, 2/3 water. I do this twice a week. You can also do it in evening and keep it on overnight. I've been doing this for about three months and can already see the difference. The bald spots are diminishing, and less hair falls out.

68. October 11, 2016 / 6:35 am

You can find it on takealot, but very, very expensive. Also on Amazon.com. That might be cheaper, even with the exchange rate.

69. Anonymous
    October 14, 2016 / 5:39 pm

Hi, I've always had fine hair. I have started using olive oil, bayrum, bergamot essence and kair placenta two week ago and i need to know has anybody had fine pimples and an itch while using it? Is it advisable to continue?

70. Anonymous
    October 18, 2016 / 1:40 pm

Is it save to used on babies hair

71. Anonymous
    October 18, 2016 / 1:43 pm

Is it save to used on babies hair

72. Nicole Hunter
    November 24, 2016 / 3:01 am

Yes you leave it on & if you read above it tells you how to apply

73. December 22, 2016 / 7:26 am

Hi Elise
    Do you spray it on your roots before, whilst wet, or after blow drying your hair.

74. December 23, 2016 / 5:05 am